Friday, June 13, 2008

Temptation and Newton

Well, I’ve been home for 36 hours and things are still pretty okay. Chiquita, Rosie’s wonderful and beatiful mom, has been adopted by my parents and she looks wonderful and clean. The two of them are super cute, esp. because Rosie is about 1.75x bigger than her mom but still tries to like snuggle underneath her. Heh.

As threatened, I’m trying to hit up that master cleanse diet (www.geocities.co.jp/Beautycare-Venus/2032/english/master_cleanser.html if any of you are interested) while I’m home. I made the lemonade last night with some bitchin’ lemons from a neighbor’s tree... and had a delicious glass. However, I was up late watching Iron Chef and everything looked so good that I broke down and had some carrots. Then some almonds. Then some beer. Then some leftover pork. Then some ice cream. Then a giant bowl of pasta with butter. Ahh! I was so frikkin hungry... Anyway, so I’m giving it another go today. It doesn’t help that the only two other people in the house are totally against the idea, for cultural reasons that are masked in scientific language.

Man, talk about exercising power through the discourse of truth: my mom keeps telling me that “hundreds of years of scientific research” should convince me against doing this diet. Actual quote. It’s pretty pathetic sometimes how sweeping her stupid generalizations have to be in order to make her point. Furthermore, why is it even her business? I’m spending next to nothing on food, creating no dirty dishes, keeping to myself and trying something new, which I can stop at any time. Where in this sequence does she have any right, much less reason, to get all up on my ass about this? I know I should be able to shrug it off, but hey, she’s my mom. She’s spent 20 years developing techniques to make this shit get under my skin so I’ll be beholden to her; she’s obviously got some tricks up her sleeve. We’ll see how I make out.

In any case, today I’m starting afresh... I think after the initial two days it gets a lot easier. Something happens to your sense of smell or something such that previously-delicious-seeming food appears dirty... so I just have to push through till what, Sunday, and then I’lll be good. Wish me luck!

In other news, I saw this sweet ass-documentary about Isaac Newton last night... I read the Gleick biography freshman year and it was pretty sweet but this show reminded me of all the cool shit he did. Newton was the fuckin man. I remember Gleick said that he called the mysterious attraction between masses “gravity” because persons of grave demeanor seemed to be unduly affected by it (jowly frowns, slow movements). Awesome. And the Nova special had all these great reenactments of Newton striding around Cambridge, writing in his notebooks, playing with prisms, etc. The actor was pretty convincing and I wondered if his day job was a Newton impersonator, like the Franklins all over Philadelphia. Looks like imdb is down; I’ll have to figure that out later.

“HOLY SHIT” UPDATE: Whoa, ok, so he’s just a regular actor, but here are the comments for Scott Handy’s imdb profile:

I saw him as Newton
lunapark77
And he was great. I really liked the show--they got the history/costuming/props right and made it very interesting. But I gotta tell ya, I was mostly thinking, "Damn, who is this guy? He's hot!" I haven't seen him in anything else, but I'd like to, to see how he does different types of roles. But meanwhile, ISAAC LET ME BE YOUR LAB ASSISTANT! :)

Re: I saw him as Newton
Debs45385
Yea i know what you mean!All because of him,now i actually have a crush on Isaac Newton!

Re: I saw him as Newton
lunapark77
I'm serious! Newton is definitely the hottest scientist in world history. I always thought of him as an old dude in a wig the size of New Hampshire, but when they showed the portrait of him as a younger man, I was like, "Holy smokes! No WAY!" Who knew?

Re: I saw him as Newton
rockinroll1983
Man, I don't blame you. I ordered Newton's Dark Secrets on DVD so I could relive that feeling over and over again. Now, I'm trying to see everything Scott Handy's been in. Not very many movies but he's definitely an underrated, great actor.

Re: I saw him as Newton
maigheach
.... I thought I was the only one....!

Re: I saw him as Newton
lunapark77
Wow, all four of us.... WHAT CHASTITY PLAN?? [referring to the “chastity techniques” that Newton developed to keep his mind focused while a student]

Re: I saw him as Newton
maigheach
ARRRGGGGHHHH! Hubby taped over "Newton"!!!!!

Re: I saw him as Newton
shemetkaBG
I watched Newton last night. I didn't know until this time that Isaac Newton was so handsome;p

Dear God. This is awesome.
END “HOLY SHIT” UPDATE

Okay, well I think I’ma head to the library later, peace out.

4 comments:

G said...

Newton = hot
Dirac = hotter

Andrea said...

ahahaha "jowly." i love that story about the origins of "gravity."

Yusha said...

i saw that nova the other day too! i just about fell over at the flashing sequence of every expert ever in the documentary saying back-to-back, slowly and loudly, "i highly doubt the role of FRUIT in newton's life."

Bill said...

oh my god, I just caught that one snippet of it yesterday too!! Don't forget the smarmy British accent.

Lord Jesus. ".. the role of FRUIT .."
so true